	From: David Hull [mailto:dmh@tibco.com]
	Sent: Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 11:30 AM
	To: Winkler, Steve
	Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org; Mark Nottingham
	Subject: Re: Closure of LC86

	Winkler, Steve wrote:

		Hi David,

		I'll take the time to make it shorter:

		What I'm advocating is adding a sentence that basically
recommends that a message id SHOULD be present in all WS-A messages
(both requests and responses).  The message id would still be, strictly
speaking, optional.  As far as I understand you, we are in agreement on
this point, so I would like to limit any discussion for proposals to
this scope at this point.

	Would that include changing the MUST to SHOULD for replies?  I
gather from the discussion below that it wouldn't.  If that's the case,
I'm not against adding such a sentence, but I don't think it changes
anything materially.

	If the idea is to have [message id] OPTIONAL but RECOMMENDED
everywhere, I'm all for it.

	I think I may just be more comfortable with the a la carte
approach than much of the group is.  In my view, we're providing a
collection of very useful utilities.  The way to get them used is to
make them useful (which they are).  Requiring a facility whether or not
it's of use in a particular situation seems likely to raise the bar for
adoption.  I can actually see someone wanting to be "lighter weight" and
defining <NewmansOwn:{Reply,Fault}To> with the same meaning as
<wsa:{Reply,Fault}To> except that you don't have to include <wsa:Action>
and <wsa:MessageId> in order to use it.  Or worse, quietly just not
conforming and only paying attention to <wsa:{Reply,Fault}To>.  I don't
endorse either approach, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided
to take one of them.

	Now I can hear the reply coming from somewhere in the ether:
"But that's the beauty of the SOAP processing model:  You can define
your own headers if you don't like ours."  I think that's fine when my
headers don't overlap significantly with existing standards, but it's
not fine at all when my headers are playing in essentially the same
space as what's already there.

	Is it more important to allow senders who don't need [message
id] for correlation to get replies even if they don't include [message
id], or for senders that do need [message id] to be warned that some
message they sent (they won't always know which one since there's no
[message id]) didn't include one?

	I think the realistic answer is "it depends," and a receiver
should be able to behave either way (and advertise that behavior)
without breaking conformance.  That's why I'm much more comfortable with
"SHOULD fault" than "MUST fault" in section 3.3.  I would prefer to see
this handled by leaving the core flexible but biased toward stricter
behavior (i.e., faulting in this case).  Bindings like the WSDL binding
can then make strict behavior the default while allowing loopholes for
more lax behavior.  Of course, they can do this anyway (this flavor of
endpoint is WSA conformant except ...), but it seems better to add
constraints to the core rather than to selectively override ones that
are already there.

		See below for some curt (in the interest of brevity, not
insolence) retorts to the points I found the most salient.

		Cheers,
		Steve

		Steve Winkler
		SAP AG