From: public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Rogers, Tony
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:27 PM
To: David Hull; David Orchard
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Subject: RE: Use of FaultTo when propagating WS-A Faults

I am becoming increasingly concerned about this idea of using someof the
WS-A headers even when the message is faulty in WS-A terms.

If we follow Dave Hull's described situation, then we have the ingredients
for a nasty DDoS scenario - send out a stack of messages to a range of
servers, all of them with FaultTo pointing to the target machine, and no
Action - the target machine will be bombarded with Fault messages. Not a
good thing.

I prefer the idea of a binary switch - we are using WS-A or we are not using
WS-A - if the message is WS-A faulty (eg: no Action) then we are NOT using
WS-A, so we should not be using the FaultTo address. We fault using the
back-channel (if there is one), or we drop the message in the bit-bucket
(possibly logging it). Note that the back-channel may be the HTTP return
channel, or some other understood back-channel as defined by the server's
circumstances.

I think of this as being similar to the situation we discussed in the Async
group in Palo Alto - we have not yet accepted the WS-A headers, so we are
not in the position of being prepared to use them.

Fair enough?

Tony