Re: LC 76 - What makes a msg WS-A?

Martin Gudgin wrote:

> OK, I'm confused.
>
> Why do you conclude that the answer to my question "Given that the
> wsa:Action header is mandatory, isn't it the presence of that header?"
> is 'No'.
>
> I would have come to the opposite conclusion;
>
> I have an endpoint that understands WS-Addressing. It receives a
> message that contains wsa:ReplyTo but no wsa:Action. It generates a
> fault. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Sure.  That is a perfectly straightforward rule.  In fact, it's implied
by what we say in section 3.3.

I thought you were trying to answer the question "When is an incoming
message deemed to be a WS-Addressing message and therefore subject to
the appropriate WS-Addressing validation?" with (rephrasing the reply as
a statement) "It's subject to WSA validation if the wsa:Action header is
present."  And of course, this clearly won't work, since it specifically
doesn't try to validate a message with wsa:ReplyTo and no wsa:Action.

If you meant something else, then never mind.  It's probably not worth
sorting.

> I have an endpoint that doesn't understand WS-Addressing. It receives
> a message that contains one or more wsa: headers, it either ignores
> them or generates a mustUnderstand fault depending on whether those
> headers are marked mustUnderstand='true' or not. Again, seems pretty
> straightforward to me.

Sure.  As I said, we're talking about behavior of endpoints, not
properties of messages.

As DaveO says, the interesting case is that of an endpoint that wants to
accept non-WSA messages without complaint but also handle WSA messages
properly.