Re: Proposal for lc87 and lc55

On Jul 7, 2005, at 1:11 PM, Rich Salz wrote:

>>> (ii) Users of EPRs should only use EPRs from sources they trust.
>>> The  required trust has two aspects:
>>>
>>> (a) that the EPR was obtained from a trusted source
>>> (b) that it was obtained from a source with authority to
>>> represent  the [destination] of that EPR.
>>>

> Like you, I don't believe (ii)(b) is always necessary, for exactly
> the reason you state -- the EPR might contain information signed by
> the addressee.

I don't think it will always be necessary, if the user implicitly
trusts everything the minter tells them then there's no need.
However, for more casual relationships I think it will be necessary
for the minter to prove it has some authority to speak for the target
of the EPR.

> It's also important to realize that "trust" can be completely
> determined out of band.  For example, within an enterprise, the
> corporate policy might be "everyone uses the corporate registry for
> WS-A services," and the MIS/IT department will help enforce this by
> some desktop configuration tools.

Absolutely. My proposal recognized this by not making the trust
mechanism REQUIRED, the MUSTs only apply "When using this mechanism".

Marc.

> "Do I trust this data?" can often be re-phrased as "am I liable if
> this information is wrong?"  Given the difficulties of getting the
> crypto right (e.g., see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
> ws-addressing/2005Mar/0115), I bet that the dominant security model
> for WS-A will be pre-installed configurations (regedit anyone?) and
> SSL.
>
>     /r$
>
> --
> Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
> DataPower Technology                           http://
> www.datapower.com
> XS40 XML Security Gateway   http://www.datapower.com/products/
> xs40.html

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.