NEW ISSUE: Absolute vs relative URIs

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:52:34 -0500
To: public-ws-addressing@w3.org

I took an action at the last F2F to raise an issue about absolute vs
relative URIs in message addressing properties. The following message
addressing properties are URIs: [destination], [action], [message id],
[relationship/relatesto], [relationship/type]. In addition the message
addressing properties [source endpoint], [reply endpoint] and [fault
endpoint] each contain [address] properties that are also URIs.

SOAP 1.2 describes a set of conventions for use of URIs in SOAP
messages[1] and recommends (in the RFC 2119 sense) that
"application-defined data carried within a SOAP envelope use the same
mechanisms and guidelines". I think this applies to addressing headers.

WS-Addressing should define which properties MUST be serialized in SOAP
messages as absolute URIs and which may be relative and subject to the
convention defined by SOAP.

Note that this is somewhat related to issue 46 on the comparison of
URIs[2].

Marc.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/#useofuris
[2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/wd-issues/#i046