Re: NEW ISSUE: EPR comparison rule doesn't support Web services gateways/routers

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:58:39 -0500 (EST)
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
cc: "public-ws-addressing@w3.org" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

> Specifically, if the
> message was really intended to be sent to somewhere else down the line,
> then that's where it should be addressed.  If this isn't a gateway
> scenario, and instead an intermediary scenario, then routing could be
> used to route to the intended destination via the intermediary.

Some other ways to think of it are service virtualization, demultiplexing,
or (my favorite) service-oriented NAT.  For all intents and purposes, a
single host, and perhaps a single URL (or maybe URL prefix) is exposed to
the outside world, and the internal servers and applications are never
directly exposed.

Architecturally, it kinda sucks (although it helps create a market for our
producdts :).  Unfortunately, the script kiddies and criminals have done a
lot to wreck the end-to-end concept.  Even REST suffers.
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html