Re: proposed breaking change to echo global element declaration

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 12:35 +0000, paul.downey@bt.com wrote:

> The tests currently use the same Global Element Declaration (GED)
> 'echo' for both request and response which reflects my personal
> preference not to use 'wrapped' style documents.

+1.

> However this does impose an architectural style on implementations:
> the current tests require an endpoint which handles both 'echo'
> requests and 'echo' responses to dispatch based upon wsa:action,
> and not the GED.
>
> *but* I'm told GED dispatching is intrinsic to more than one
> of implementations we hope to demonstrate interoperating
> during CR.

I'd say the implementation should change .. requiring that the same GED
can't be on a request and a response is incredibly restrictive of that
implementation. Its a different matter if the test had multiple
operations with the same GED as input (say) and different actions.

> I understand that this may be contentious, but the only
> way to support both world views is to make the GED of the echo
> request an 'echoIn' element and the GED of the response an
> 'echoOut' element, as per IBM's public endpoint:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing-tests/2005Dec/0034.html
>
> I'm happy to make such a change, but this will impact anyone
> who has implemented the testsuite, so please raise any objections
> you have ASAP.

My preference would be for IBM to change their endpoint to support this
style.

Sanjiva.