Re: TAG requests help with examples of WS-Addressing

We need to be a bit careful here.

In general, a spec that uses EPRs to represent endpoints in messages has
a direct dependency on WSA.

On the other hand, very few specs have any legitimate reason to talk
about MAPs.  For example, if a spec defines a request-reply operation,
it should /not/ say things like "the response to this operation MUST be
sent to the endpoint designated by the wsa:ReplyTo header."  WSA already
says that.  Repeating it adds nothing except the potential for confusion
if the redundant material is in any way out of sync with WSA itself.

Further, mentioning MAPs in such a way effectively requires use of WSA
when it's not actually needed.  I see no reason why a useful
request-response operation should not be implemented by endpoints that
don't support WSA, or support WSA but without making it wsdl:required.
 It can be perfectly useful to support a request-response operation
without sending the response asynchronously to a third party.  This is
particularly relevant if the operation itself doesn't involve EPRs.

I would particularly discourage statements about wsa:* SOAP headers (or
"Message Information Headers" as they were previously called).  At the
very least, such statements should be changed to mention WSA MAPs (the
abstract counterpart to the SOAP headers).  That such a change would
need to happen when the basic semantics have not changed is a red flag
in itself.

The one sticky area I've seen is in assigning a standard [action] to an
operation.  WS-BaseNotification (full disclosure: I co-edit it) and
related specs say, essentially "The [action] MAP must be ..."  I believe
this is following the lead of WSRF. Personally, I'm not entirely
comfortable with this, but in this particular case EPRs are an integral
part of Notification, so there is no great loss from essentially
requiring WSA.

Personally, I would prefer giving the [action] value normatively in a
WSDL.  If WSA is engaged, this becomes the [action] MAP.  If not, it
might become the SOAPAction HTTP header, or might become something else,
or might not matter, all depending on the binding.  Failing that, it
would be nice to have a standard incantation to the effect of "The
/action/ for this operation is http://foo." with the understanding that
this could be the WSA [action], the SOAPAction HTTP header, or whatever
else.