Re: Action without UsingAddressing

An interesting thread but I think its drifted away from the original
question which was: if I don't include a wsa:UsingAddressing in my
WSDL but I do include a wsa:Action, is the processor expected/
required to (i) include addressing MAPs and (ii) honor the action
value declared in the wsa:Action. IOW, is inclusion of a wsa:Action
equivalent to inclusion of a wsa:UsingAddressing and if so is it
equivalent to one with wsdl:required=true or false ?

Maybe I've misunderstood, but it doesn't sound like we have any
consensus on this yet. Here are the options as I see them:

1. Inclusion of wsa:Action is equivalent to inclusion of
wsa:UsingAddressing with wsdl:required=true (messages MUST include
wsa MAPs and wsa:Action MUST be honored)

2. Inclusion of wsa:Action is equivalent to inclusion of
wsa:UsingAddressing with wsdl:required=false (messages MAY include
wsa MAPs but if so wsa:Action MUST be honored)

3. Inclusion of wsa:Action without inclusion of wsa:UsingAddressing
is purely advisory (messages MAY include wsa MAPs and if so
wsa:Action MAY be honored)

4. Something else.

I don't like 1 since it seems to circumvent wsdl:required and will
require special wsa aware WSDL processors. 2 and 3 seem OK, I have a
preference for 2.

Chad anyone ?

Marc.

On Aug 9, 2005, at 7:05 AM, paul.downey@bt.com wrote:

> Paco rather sensibly said:
>

>> The problem is essentially: is the WSDL
>> description required to be exhaustive? I agree that the answer is
>> NO, but I
>> think this is probably for the WSDL working group to clarify.
>>

> I agree. I can't see how a WSDL document could ever be exhaustive,
> e.g. how can I describe that my endpoint is secured using Basic
> Authentication
> and your account must be in credit without resorting to the "spec
> which shall
> not be named"?
>
> And just because we're about to provide a mechanism for describing
> that
> WS-Addressing is engaged, why should that invalidate services which
> happen to have WSDLs that don't make use of it?
>
> WSDL is just a description, which can be complete or incomplete as the
> publisher wishes it to be.
>
> OTOH if a WSDL explicitly stated WS-Addressing isn't in use and
> then the
> service required it, well that might be a different matter.
>
> Paul

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.