RE: Using attributes to mark RefProp's and RefParam's

Rich,

Please see my comments below.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org wrote on 11/25/2004 10:31:26 AM:

> > When Chris told me that we lose the ability to subject the soap
headers
> > to the SOAP Processing model if we have a wrapper
>
> I am not sure that this is true.  If refprop/param information is
intended
> for the ultimate recipient -- it is an *Endpoint*Reference, after all --
> then I do not see why the recipient can't look for wsa:refprop/foo as
> easily as it can look for foo.
>
> Why is it so important to promote refprops/params to generic soap
headers?
> Nobody else does it. It becomes impossible to write generic "process
> addressing information" (e.g., WS management infrastructures) without
> closely coupling the layers on a *per-operation* basis.  Same for
> security.  It goes against the philosophy of composable headers. And
Mark
> B will argue that it goes against the Web architecture of
> self-description.

Ok, let's say I have a gateway that serves as the external facing endpoint
for all of my internal services, which are hidden behind a firewall.
I could expose an EPR that has the wsa:Address URI of my external gateway
and include ref prop(s) that are targetted at the soap:role of
http://example.org/gateway which is the role of my Gateway. It knows only
to look for an element <gw:RouteTo> or something like that, of type
xs:anyURI with a
soap:MustUnderstand='true', and forwards the message to that URI, which
could
be an HTTP URI or possibly a URI for a WebSphereMQ queue from which the
service endpoint will dequeue messages to be processed (asynchronously,
of course! It's the only way babe... :-) If the ref props/params are
wrapped,
then somehow the soap:role and soap:mustUnderstand of the ref prop/param
will need to be
propogated to that wrapper element or else this use of ref props/params
doesn't work.

As for your point: "Nobody else does it.", I don't know what you mean by
this.
Do you mean that there has, to date, been relatively little exploitation
of
soap:role/actor? If so, I agree but I don't think that is an excuse to
preclude its
use in the design of WS-Addressing.

As for the point: "It becomes impossible to write generic "process
addressing information" (e.g., WS management infrastructures) without
closely coupling the layers on a *per-operation* basis.". I don't buy
that.
Just because the ref props/params can be anything, doesn't mean that there
won't be a set of well-defined Qnames that can be baked into some
infrastructure
like WebSphere. The beauty of ws-addressing is that it allows for the
minter
of the EPR to be free to implement as it chooses and it doesn't impact the
implementation choices of the recipient of that EPR. It just works.

As to the point: "It goes against the philosophy of composable headers.".
Please
explain why it is you think that.

> I think "we" have made our case that there are real security, and
> coupling, concerns by doing this, and that it goes against the grain of
> everyting else in ws-xxx-land being self-identifying.  I think now "you"
> should need to answer the question above.

I've given a real-world use case above for leveraging the SOAP processing
model.
I could certainly think of others.