From: Bergersen, Rebecca
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:11 PM
To: 'public-ws-addressing@w3.org'
Cc: Vinoski, Stephen; Newcomer, Eric; Bergersen, Rebecca
Subject: NEW Issue - Reference to WSDL definition in an EPR

Title: Reference to WSDL definition in an EPR

  convey the information needed to identify/reference a Web service
  endpoint, and may be used in several different ways: endpoint
  references are suitable for conveying the information needed to
  access a Web service endpoint...."  However, in order to assure that
  the information needed to access a Web service endpoint, a reference
  to the WSDL definition of a service is sometimes required and in
  those cases must be included as part of the EPR construct.

Justification: This requirement derives from several common use
  cases. For example, in a communication chain there may be
  intermediaries that can accept incoming messages and, in a fully
  dynamic manner, further dispatch or route those onward. This is what
  we do with our products.  The trick is that the next recipient might
  use a completely different protocol/transport/format than what the
  message came in on. For this case it is necessary to perform a fully
  dynamic dispatch by using the target's WSDL definition and to build
  dynamic proxies and to bind to the service over one of the
  protocol/transport/format combinations it supports. The whole
  definition is required so there is access to all the possible bindings
  for the service. The WSDL definition is also used in cases where
  consumer applications want to avoid compiling in static port type
  information, and instead want, for flexibility purposes, late
  (runtime) binding to the service.

Target: Core

Proposal:
  1. Extend section 2.1, Information Model for Endpoint References, to
  include the following:
    [definition] : URI (0..1)
      The optional element that provides an link to the WSDL service
      definition.

  2. Extend section 2.2, Endpoint Reference XML Infoset
     Representation, to include the following:

     Example 2-1. @@@
       <wsa:EndpointReference>
          <wsdl:serviceDefinition>xs:anyURI</wsdl:serviceDefinition>
       </wsa:EndpointReference>

      and to include the following as a description of the additional
      information:

      /wsdl:serviceDefinition
      This optional element provides a link to the WSDL service
      definition.