Re: Mandator wsa:Action (was Re: WS-Addr issues)

> I can imagine more thoughts like "My point is still made!  The site has
> the choice of making it mandatory or not, an optional Action that a
> service requires is the same thing".
>
> But this is where the analogy breaks down.  The vendors at the table
> build SOAP processing software and standardization of SOAP constructs
> facilitates interop.  We are not building standardized data entry
> languages - though UBL exists in a separate forum.  If we can
> standardize WSA:Action, we can accrue benfits to all software that
> leverages WSA:Action.

Hmmm, I don't think this is an objective statement. What you're saying
is that the vendors who have implemented products against a proprietary
specification (as it was then) would suffer if this changed. However,
those vendors who haven't used WS-Addr, have implemented their own, or
have used something like WS-MD, shouldn't be listened to? I hope not.
If it is the case, then come clean now. I, and I'm sure others, aren't
in this to rubberstamp something.

I want a WS-Addressing standard as quickly as possible for a number of
reasons: product related as well as other standard/specification
related. So it's not in my interest to see this drag on and on.
However, what those vendors who weren't involved in the original closed
and proprietary specification development do have, is experience that
perhaps the other vendors don't have. I hope that you and others would
treat that with the same level of respect as you would give to each
other - on it's merits, rather than on who the individual(s) work for.

> By retaining the status quo of Mandatory Action, all WS-A processors
> have certainty about it's presence.
>
> Certainty has often led to accrued benefits.  An example that I love is
> the certainty of the Java Class libraries was a key reason that people
> switched from various flavours of Unix C++ to Java.
>
> There's also an old standards saw, which is that there should be as few
> optional components as possible.  There's a reason why that saw exists,
> to minimize interop problems.

There's also the old proverb about the Emperor's New Clothes.

Mark.