Re: WS-Addr issues

Mark,

The Action is value is not part of the address (the EPR). Action is
provided as a MIH to enable endpoints to appropriately act on received
messages, by consistently looking at one message property - as opposed to
having to randomly inspect transport artifacts or ad-hoc fields within the
message body.

Paco

                      "Mark Little"
                      <mark.little@arjuna.com>        To:       "Harm Smit" <hsmit@easyconnect.fr>, "'Savas Parastatidis'"
                      Sent by:                         <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>, Francisco Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      public-ws-addressing-req        cc:       <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
                      uest@w3.org                     Subject:  Re: WS-Addr issues

                      11/04/2004 10:39 AM

OK, let's try to put this into some kind of perspective. Is WS-Addressing
about "addressing" or "dispatching"? I'd assume from the name that it's the
former. In which case, why embed an opcode into an address? I've had
experience with a wide range of RPC mechanisms over the past 20+ years and
they always make the distinction between an address (e.g., host/port pair,
URI) and the ultimate dispatching mechanism (e.g., opcode or string).

What we seem to have with wsa:Action is some strange merging of dispatch
and
addressing into a single entity. I (and I think Savas) aren't saying that
we
can't see the requirement for wsa:Action; only that it doesn't belong in a
specification that is about addressing. Why not WS-Dispatch, or WS-RPC
instead.

Mark.

----
Mark Little,