Re: i0001: EPRs as identifiers - alternative proposal

From: Tom Rutt <tom@coastin.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:57:25 -0800
To: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org

David Booth wrote:

>Tom,
>
>The reason is that Reference Properties are intended to be used to
>address things that -- for all intents and purposes -- represent
>different Web resources.  (I.e., they have different WSDL, metadata,
>policy, etc.)  Reference Parameters *could* be used that way -- just as
>cookies *could* be used that way -- but they are not *intended* to be
>used that way, nor are they most often used that way.

If you place a ref parm "<username joe/> in a soap header block where
the message body has operation with semantic (what is your
birthdate) will you get a differenent answer from another exchange with
everything else in the message the same but with
the ref parm value <username joesFather />?

Tom Rutt

>On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 21:16, Tom Rutt wrote:
>

>>David Booth wrote:
>>

>>>The question is: What guidance are we giving to the world?
>>>
>>>As you point out, we cannot stop people from doing things in ways that
>>>are anti-Web, nor should we.  For whatever reasons, sometimes someone
>>>may *need* to address Web resources using something other than a URIs.
>>>
>>>But what *guidance* are we giving?  If Reference Properties are kept in
>>>the spec, we would be *endorsing* a practice that is harmful to the Web
>>>as a whole.
>>>
>>>On the other hand, if we drop Reference Properties, people who really
>>>need to address Web resources using non-URIs could still (ab)use
>>>Reference *Parameters* to accomplish the same result, just as they
>>>sometimes use cookies to do so today.
>>>

>>I do not understand why Reference Parameters would be acceptable but
>>Reference Properties are not?
>>
>>If either is present, they are used to identify the instance of what is
>>being communicated to?
>>
>>Tom Rutt
>>Fujitsu
>>

>>>Thus, they would not be prevented
>>>

>>>from doing what they may need to do, but they would be encouraged to do
>>

>>>things the Web way.

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133