Re: i0001: EPRs as identifiers - alternative proposal

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:07:40 -0500
To: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:45:21PM +0600, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> How can one worry about how this stuff is used .. people are using
> cookies to identify stuff too but do we worry about that? There's
> nothing you can do about it; so, don't worry, be happy.
>
> I'd say the same applies here; there's an architected role for them
> and there are all kinds of (ab)uses that people will do. Ain't nothin'
> we can do about that.

Cookies have been around for about 10 years now, so I can understand
an argument about the problems with trying to fix/discourage them.  But
WS-Addressing is brand spanking new, and AFAICT, there are *no*
publically accessible Web services that actually use it (and probably
not many more behind firewalls that do either).  So I don't quite
understand why there's nothing to be done.  On the contrary, it seems
like a perfect opportunity to fix a serious problem.

Mark.