RE: Next Steps

From: Glen Daniels <gdaniels@sonicsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:17:03 -0500
To: <paul.downey@bt.com>, <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Cc: <public-ws-addressing-tests@w3.org>

> > What's the difference between status="REQUIRED" and cr="REQUIRED"?
>
> - cr="REQUIRED"
>   a test required by the
>   SOAP/Core CR testing round
>
> - status="REQUIRED"
>   a test with an associated MUST in the spec
>
> - wsdlcr="REQUIRED"
>   a test required during WSDL CR testing

I think it would generally be better to simply have
REQUIRED/OPTIONAL/INFORMATIONAL on each test and leave it at that.  If
something is a MUST in the spec, then the test is REQUIRED - i.e.
REQUIRED tests are an indication of spec conformance.  Whether
particular tests (or particular instantiations of results) are necessary
for CR on any given spec is, I think, orthogonal (and in fact the CR
requirements are different depending on optionality - 2 impls for
optional vs. 4 for required...).  Of course we need that information,
but it seems like a totally separate thing.

Can we just arrange the tests by spec and requiredness, then have a
separate table for CR criteria?  That way we'd keep everything clear and
allow the tests to be more useful into the future as well.

--G