RE: A look at WoT specs from Linked Data and AWWW perspective

Hi Martynas,

thanks for bringing Semantic Web aspects in the discussion. A few comments on my side:

> "base" is not a domain vocabulary property

The TD vocabulary is arguably not a “domain” vocabulary either. It is to me nothing more than a generic model to relate physical world entities with Web resources. That said, I completely agree that defining a base is more of a serialization issue and one should use JSON-LD’s @base.

>> I wonder how can "writability" of any property on the web be a predefined constant?
> My understanding of the “writable” flag is that if it were false it would indicate that a property is not writable by anyone, *regardless* of access rights.

I fully agree with Michael McCool. Another example of such a property is the battery status of low-power devices.

> JSON is only one of the syntaxes -- RDF is the model, and constraints should be based on it.

Not exactly. RDF is the foundation of the TD model, sure. But the schemas embedded in a TD model the data a device exposes, not the TD. That data model can be based on SenML or the BLE GATT specification, for instance. WoT devices typically exchange once a TD and ten, hundred times sensor data. It is important to optimize the latter exchanges; RDF would introduce a significant overhead and is therefore not a good candidate. If it is necessary to merge data and meta-data (e.g. a TD or some SSN description of a system), one would have to perform RDF lifting, which is a pretty well-known procedure (see for instance, RML or SPARQL Generate).

Best,
Victor