RE: A look at WoT specs from Linked Data and AWWW perspective

PS It would be useful to move this discussion to the issue tracker for w3c/wot: https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues

Each of the points below could potentially be a separate issue (I haven’t done a search yet to see if all these points have been debated before, though).

Michael

From: Mccool, Michael
Sent: Friday, April 6, 2018 12:54
To: 'Martynas Jusevičius' <martynas@atomgraph.com>; public-wot-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: A look at WoT specs from Linked Data and AWWW perspective

Martynas,
All good points.  I’ll leave the others for others to debate, but your second point is interesting to me also.  I’ve been working on an enhanced security metadata proposal that would allow different security constraints to be applied to different resources, but as you point out, in theory ACLs could make some resources (properties) writable by some users and not by others.

However, two points:

1.       The general idea of metadata is that you can find out how to access a device without having to probe it.   This is useful when developing code in advance and/or when an active device is not available.

2.       My understanding of the “writable” flag is that if it were false it would indicate that a property is not writable by anyone, *regardless* of access rights.  This will typically indicate a physical constraint: a temperature sensor is read-only, for instance.  Writing to it is meaningless.

So, if a property is *potentially* writable, with the right access rights, it should be marked as writable, and (with my proposed security metadata) the metadata would indicate what authentication methods should be used to access the resource.   It’s still possible that an ACL could restrict writing to only some users, but might allow reads to another set.  However, if the property is not writable at all (eg if it is actually a physical sensor, or otherwise inherently read-only) then the flag should be set to false.

Michael McCool