W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > April 2018

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 18 April 2018

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 22:53:43 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9Vad1OF5yZXJmf=en+rGHLmPc+L=po8-Jfeb2DFXyJWBQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2018/04/18-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking these minutes, Michael Koster!

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT-IG/WG
                              18 Apr 2018

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Ben_Francis,
          Daniel_Peintner, Graem_Coleman, Tetsushi_Matsuda,
          Michael_Koster, Ryuichi_Matsukura, Takeshi_Sano,
          Zoltan_Kis, DarkoAnicic, Barry_Leiba, Kazuo_Kajimoto,
          Fano_Ramparany, Kunihiko_Toumura, Sebastian_Kaebisch,
          Tomoaki_Mizushima, Nan_Wang

   Regrets
          Matthias

   Chair
          McCool, Kajimoto

   Scribe
          mjkoster

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Visa for Korea meeting visa and invitation letter
         2. [5]PlugFest recap
         3. [6]Testing
         4. [7]PlugFest discussion during the main call?
         5. [8]FYI
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <kaz> scribenick: mjkoster

Visa for Korea meeting visa and invitation letter

   Kaz: please check your visa status and apply early

   <kaz> [11]https://www.tta.or.kr/eng/new/about/organizations.jsp
   TTA

     [11] https://www.tta.or.kr/eng/new/about/organizations.jsp

   McCool: still waiting on host details

   <Ryuichi>
   [12]https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/plugfest/2018-prague
   /docs/PlugfestSummary180418.pdf

     [12] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/plugfest/2018-prague/docs/PlugfestSummary180418.pdf

PlugFest recap

   Ryuichi: breakdown of plugfest scenarios
   ... one group used local and remote proxies in the 2-proxy
   pattern
   ... another group of application servients is not well
   described, please provide more information about application
   servients
   ... another group used node-wot
   ... another group using scripting API, interoperable between
   different servients
   ... another group using Thing Directory for discovery
   ... another group of device servients, analyzed for which
   protocols and interfaces were supported
   ... another group used semantic discovery using iot.schema
   ... the analysis of security scenarios is missing information
   about the protocols

   McCool: we could send around a note asking for the information
   on security setup

   <Zakim> kaz, you wanted to suggest people clarify their own
   servients using the guideline.md file and/or
   company-guideline.md file :)

   Ryuichi: will try to collect the security information

   Kaz: everyone please clarify their scenario details as needed,
   look into the other documents besides preparation.md

   Ryuichi: we need the participants to provide more description

   Kaz: maybe we can start with TDs, make sure everyone's TDs are
   available

   Lagally: did we merge our preparation documents? they don't
   seem to have been worked on since the PF

   McCool: we should go back and update the files to what we
   actually did

   <kaz> [13]TD files

     [13] https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/plugfest/2018-prague/TDs

   Kaz: we should go in and do an update with matsukura-san and
   koster moderating

   Lagally: we can re-use preparation.md for the summary and
   extend it as needed

   Ryuichi: there is another scenario group around event handling
   and notification, who used long polling

   <mlagally> my point was that a merged preparation.md can be the
   basis for the summary document, since it contains a lot of
   information that may be lost

   <kaz> (+1 and we should think about document structure in
   detail later :)

   McCool: the web camera used long polling, also the Siemens
   entry had an event source

   Ryuichi: the last group is device simulators

   McCool: the OCF smart home demo also has a simulator mode, also
   counter.js is a thing

   Ryuichi: goals for the next plugfest improvement in information
   provided
   ... use a common schema between participants, better security
   description, better accessibility description

   McCool: we may want to clarify and be specific about what we
   mean by "proxy" since there are different flavors

   Ryuichi: need to specify Thing Directory interface for
   interoperability

   <kaz> +1 to clarify various network topology/setting as part of
   the Architecture document

   Ryuichi: browser as servient will be an important component
   ... we need to collect TDs from everyone
   ... we need to collect more information about different network
   topologies
   ... we also need to describe the interface between servients in
   the proxy cases
   ... we can develop a set of meta-applications to drive specific
   application scenarios

   Lagally: we should have more simulated devices, which would
   enable integration work before the plugfest

   McCool: we can have these available online
   ... we would need security set up for this

   Lagally: would need a node-wot instance to be hosted by someone

   Koster: offer to host an instance on Digital Ocean if others
   will help maintain

   McCool: also offer to set up a smart home demo instance
   ... administrative processes for online instances, sharing
   passwords, etc. let's add an agenda item for next week on
   proposals

   <Zakim> kaz, you wanted to wonder what the difference between
   "simulated device" and "actual device" from TD viewpoint

   Kaz: what is the difference between actual device and simulated
   device?
   ... also everyone should update and describe their Thing
   Descriptions
   ... so we can share and re-use

   McCool: let's get things online soon and document them for the
   next plugfest
   ... for online things they should have basic auth or some
   security

   Ben: online things would enable online testing outside
   plugfests and mozilla would provide an instance of their
   gateway

   Sebastian: we have been planning online testing for some time
   ... TD playground could be expanded to have some servients

   McCool: let's continue the discussion about testing as the next
   agenda item

   McCool: adds action items to the agenda for next week:
   * Document what was done during last PF on w3c/wot/plugfest
   * Discuss online things and simulators for pre-testing

Testing

   McCool: waiting for a report out from kaz and mlagally on
   testing tools

   <kaz> [14]McCool's created testing page

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/testing

   Kaz: have been working on tooling framework
   ... there is a W3C test framework

   <kaz> [15]https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests

   <kaz> [16]http://web-platform-tests.org/introduction.html

     [16] http://web-platform-tests.org/introduction.html

   Kaz: normative assertions need to be manually extracted from
   the specification document
   ... there is a new announcement from W3C about upcoming changes
   to the test framework that we need to follow

   <kaz>
   [17]https://www.w3.org/blog/2018/04/a-short-update-on-the-web-p
   latform-test-project-invitation/

     [17] https://www.w3.org/blog/2018/04/a-short-update-on-the-web-platform-test-project-invitation/

   McCool: editors need to create clear assertions "MUST",
   "SHOULD", and "MAY" in their documents

   <kaz> there is a specific CSS notation for that purpose: <em
   class="rfc2119" title="MUST">MUST</em>

   <kaz> e.g.,
   [18]https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/WD-appmanifest-20180403/#conform
   ance

     [18] https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/WD-appmanifest-20180403/#conformance

   McCool: this is an action for the next 2 weeks
   ... test suite repo needs to be created
   ... there are specification tests and implementation tests
   ... task force items?
   ... any other business?

PlugFest discussion during the main call?

   Kaz: continue PF discussion in the main call for now

   McCool: until we runout of time to discuss
   ... discuss testing in the PF time slot?

   (no objections)

   Kaz: let's use the PF time slot for the testing discussion next
   week

   McCool: adds note to the agenda for next week: will discuss
   testing during "Plugfest" timeslot next week

FYI

   <benfrancis> Hi, not sure if you want to add this to the
   agenda, but I just wanted to leave a note to mention Mozilla's
   announcement
   ([19]https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/04/build-your-own-web-thing
   s-with-the-things-framework/) of the Things Framework
   ([20]https://iot.mozilla.org/things/) for building what we call
   "native web things" which host their own Thing Description and
   web API. This includes open source implementations in NodeJS,
   Python, Java and C++, with Rust coming soon. The Thing
   Description format used is documented here
   ([21]https://iot.mozilla.org/wot/) which is quite close to the
   current Simplified TD proposal
   ([22]https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/proposals/simp
   lified-td).

     [19] https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/04/build-your-own-web-things-with-the-things-framework/
     [20] https://iot.mozilla.org/things/
     [21] https://iot.mozilla.org/wot/
     [22] https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/proposals/simplified-td

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([24]CVS log)
    $Date: 2018/04/18 13:51:22 $

     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 18 April 2018 13:54:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 18 April 2018 13:54:56 UTC