Re: AW: [wot-ig/wg] minutes - 26 April 2017

On 5/2/17 3:00 PM, Kovatsch, Matthias wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> How does your work relate to
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token-04? (Since you
> mentioned JWT is your main use case.)

Well, opinions differ about COSE. I'll leave it at that for now.

> For the more general case, I am a bit confused about giving JSCN the
> status of a new format. Isn't it more like best practices how to use
> CBOR correctly?

Your intuitions are correct: JSCN does consist of best practices for
using CBOR in certain contexts, but it is also a format in the sense
that lossless round tripping requires rules that need to be followed for
the sake of interoperability.

Note that JSCN is still young - it's being proved out in code, and the
specification needs more work. Although I'm happy to discuss it here,
Jeremie (who's not on this list AFAIK) is the primary author and would
no doubt welcome contributions at https://github.com/quartzjer/JSCN so
we can get it to a more stable state.

Thanks for listening. :-)

Peter