RE: Notes on W3C WoT Security Use Cases

Hi Ben,

> I don't think that giving globally accessible domain names to consumer devices is in itself a privacy problem.

I shouldn’t have used such a controversial word “privacy”. But, globally accessible devices will be under threat from DoS/DDoS attacks, etc.
IMHO, considering home network environment that has no network administrator, it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
Anyway, your solution (WoT Gateway) is very interesting and I think that it is one of the best practices of WoT achieved with existing technologies.

> The danger with these cloud based services is that they risk centralisation and lock-in for users and we've already seen examples of businesses shutting down cloud services and bricking consumer devices as a result. There is certainly a place for these managed services, but the architecture of the Web of Things should not fundamentally depend on a central point of control, it must be decentralised at least to the extent that the web is today.

I think that the centralization issue is a matter of degree. Don’t you provide the gateways with any software update services? I think it is a kind of centralized services.
So I think that it is reasonable for a WoT device manufacturer to provide customers with the remote-access service as well as the software update service.
The important point is that the manufacturer publishes Web APIs protected with standardized ways (OAuth/OIDC) and allows third-parties to develop their own WoT services with the Web APIs.

> Industrial use cases certainly have different characteristics to consumer use cases.

Yes. I think that public domain names shouldn’t be issued to WoT devices in various use cases.

Daisuke Ajitomi