Re: [TF-LD] Draft charter for Linked Data and Semantic Processing Task Force

Dear all,

Just our $.02 on this:

- We think that the proposed "recipes" go up to the level of application
modelling and should not be part of any Thing Description.

- When we make the semantic vocabularies too complex, we may endanger
their adoption by IoT developers, who may not be so familiar with the
semantic web.

On 27/02/17 20:03, Dave Raggett wrote:
> Thanks for the examples, they are most helpful. It sounds like the
> description of modular behaviours rather than that of the information
> model for the objects used to expose things to applications.
>
> Procedural scripts are easy for computers to execute, but hard for them
> to understand and manipulate. Do you envisage machine interpretable
> recipes, or perhaps consider them for human use only as part of best
> design practices? How would you formalise the recipes? I can imagine a
> role for event-condition-action rules, and worked with those in the EU
> project “Serenoa” which focused on model-based context aware user
> interfaces.
>
> I envisaged a scenario where a service designer (a human) sits at a
> workstation and comes up with an application that can perform a service
> like controlling the home environment, adapting to what devices are
> available in each home. This requires the device descriptions to declare
> what semantic modules (oneM2M sense) they support. The interfaces
> exposed by different air conditioners, for example, might differ, but
> the application would know how to adapt to each, without needing to know
> in advance the details of each device.
>
> This is more tractable than what you describe as it just requires a way
> to describe the semantic modules that devices may support and does not
> require a standard for describing event-condition-action rules or other
> ways to describe behaviours.

Best Regards, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Saludos,
carlos

Dr Carlos A Velasco
   Web Compliance Center
   Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT
   Schloss Birlinghoven, D53757 Sankt Augustin (Germany)
   https://imergo.com/ · http://www.fit.fraunhofer.de/
   Tel: +49-2241-142609 · Fax: +49-2241-1442609