Re: Browser as an universal client for IoT

On 24 October 2016 at 18:12, Jason Proctor <jason@mono.hm> wrote:

> i don't think any of the Android browsers support mDNS (and it's high time
> .local was a standard, IMHO!) but the NsdManager class makes API level
> integration straightforward. works for me.
>
> (btw i think there is an Android kernel issue which prevents mDNS
> multicasts from being received locally, which is quite annoying. affected
> me on FirefoxOS (which uses the Android kernel) also.)

Yeah, this is weird because I understood that Chromecast switched from
using DIAL to mDNS for discovery some time ago and I thought they'd now
built the functionality of the Chromecast plugin directly into Chrome. So
somehow Chromecast functionality is using mDNS but it isn't available
globally at the OS or browser level.

(I don't think Firefox yet supports it at the browser level either, it
relies on OS support).