W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > July 2016

[wot] minutes - 20 July 2016

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:14:46 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9Vn1iK2zWb7_xHQ68VaamvLLHf5D_o3v+6esq3-5w+-YA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2016/07/20-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks,

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                            Web of Things IG

20 Jul 2016

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_WebConf#Agenda_of_next_WoT_IG_WebConf:_20_July_2016

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/20-wot-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz, Sebastian, Daniel, Darko, Frank, Ryuichi, Xueqin,
          Yingying, Katsuyoshi, Masato

   Regrets
          Joerg, Johannes(?)

   Chair
          Sebastian

   Scribe
          kaz

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Recap Beijing f2f meeting
         2. [6]Recap from today's Comm TF call
         3. [7]IG Deriverables
         4. [8]TPAC in Lisbon
         5. [9]Feedback from implementation phase - Frank
         6. [10]Agenda for the next call
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     * [12]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribenick: kaz

   <scribe> agenda:
   [13]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_WebConf#Agenda_of_next_Wo
   T_IG_WebConf:_20_July_2016 agenda

     [13]
https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_WebConf#Agenda_of_next_WoT_IG_WebConf:_20_July_2016

   sk: Matthias and Joerg are traveling, Johannes will join later
   ... some important points
   ... there was a Comm TF call today
   ... IG deriverables
   ... TPAC
   ... implementation phase
   ... next call

Recap Beijing f2f meeting

   -> [14]https://www.w3.org/2016/07/13-wot-minutes.html Day 1
   minutes

     [14] https://www.w3.org/2016/07/13-wot-minutes.html

   -> [15]https://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-wot-minutes.html Day 2
   minutes

     [15] https://www.w3.org/2016/07/14-wot-minutes.html

   ka: will do the action from 13th on TPAC breakout

   sk: demo room as well

   ka: another item for Joerg to invite Scott Jensen from Google
   to the WoT IG call

   sk: will see his intention
   ... another item for Daniel to check with implementers about
   PlugFest participants

   dp: some of them participated in PlugFest

   ka: are you generating the list?

   dp: already have a list and am generating messages to contact
   them

   ka: we would like to invite Yongjing from Huawei to our call
   for the oneM2M discussion
   ... will check the minutes to see some more possible actions

   sk: ok
   ... during the breakouts, we got proposals
   ... the moderators should put the summary on the wiki
   ... Panasonic have sent some slides

   ka: maybe the moderators can put the summary on the GitHub:
   [16]https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/meeting-results/beij
   ing-f2f

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/meeting-results/beijing-f2f

   sk: right
   ... or at least should add links to the wiki
   ... the meeting went very successful
   ... we could show many interactions on different things from
   different companies
   ... outcomes we discussed were good
   ... regarding the PlugFest, having pictures and scenarios was
   great
   ... all the participants should provide resources

   -> [17]https://www.w3.org/2016/07/wot-f2f/photos/ Photos from
   the Beijing meeting

     [17] https://www.w3.org/2016/07/wot-f2f/photos/

   ka: shares the link to the photos

   sk: there was discussion on the template for the PlugFest demo
   ... Taki has volunteered
   ... we should use that template for the future PlugFests
   ... people who are not sure about "WoT" have difficulty to
   understand our work
   ... audience may be understand what the difference with the
   current situation
   ... nice to show devices working together
   ... but how to show the difference from the previous
   approaches?

   dp: maybe we can start to list things and what the goal is
   ... for each bullet item

   sk: can show some slides
   ... (shows "PlugFest Scenario" slides)
   ... we showed 3 different scenarios
   ... also the 4th scenario with Lemonbeat
   ... scenario 1 - 'hello WoT'
   ... scenario 2 - 'full WoT'
   ... scenario 3 - 'mini automation'
   ... these slides were presented to the audience
   ... but quite hard to understand the background
   ... so nice to have more projectors
   ... one screen for one location

   -> [18]https://www.w3.org/2016/07/13-wot-minutes.html#item06
   Next PlugFest Prep

     [18] https://www.w3.org/2016/07/13-wot-minutes.html#item06

   -> [19]https://www.w3.org/2016/07/13-wot-minutes.html#item06
   Next PlugFest Prep

     [19] https://www.w3.org/2016/07/13-wot-minutes.html#item06

   ka: we had discussion on next PlugFest preparation on the first
   Day

   dp: we can project multiple scenes on the big wall

   sk: it depends on the infrastructure of the TPAC venue

   yc: comments on PlugFest
   ... people were wondering about what PlugFest was like
   ... would be good to have description on what PlugFest is like
   and the demo scenarios beforehand

   sk: more than what is already documented

   yc: the host required us for text beforehand
   ... also summary document on PlugFest
   ... what it's like and the purpose
   ... would be better to have that kind of information

   sk: having more generic information would be a good idea
   ... also what the benefit of "WoT"
   ... thanks for the input

   ka: who should generate that kind of information?

   sk: each participant in PlugFest should do that
   ... Joerg has already made proposal that each demo should have
   a poster
   ... and the implementers should explain the scenario

   ka: two directions: (1) detailed description on each demo and
   (2) primer introduction for PlugFest in general

   da: we already have our Current Practices document as a
   resource
   ... also Taki has volunteered to generate a template

   sk: we should have a link on the wiki

   ka: and Yingying's second point was providing introductory
   document to newcomers who are not familiar with our work

   sk: ok
   ... any other questions on the Beijing meeting?
   ... please note that we had demonstrations by CETC including
   camera, robot, printer, etc.
   ... nice to see what is going on

   xq: comment on the Beijing meeting
   ... sent a document on Thing Description
   ... will update the wiki tomorrow

   da: tx
   ... good idea to have your resource
   ... I can put the link on the wiki for you

   ka: I can do that as a W3C Team Contact

Recap from today's Comm TF call

   -> [20]https://www.w3.org/2016/07/20-wot-comm-minutes.html Comm
   call minutes (member-only)

     [20] https://www.w3.org/2016/07/20-wot-comm-minutes.html

   yc: 4 topics
   ... 1. Flyer
   ... Dave will review the draft and then send it to the whole
   group
   ... I'll generate some timeline for it till TPAC
   ... 2. Liaison
   ... Dave, myself, Daniel and Kaz will update the list

   <yingying_>
   [21]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-wot-ig/2016Jul/
   0002.html

     [21]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-wot-ig/2016Jul/0002.html

   yc: regarding oneM2M, I sent a message on Yongjing's
   participation in our call to Matthias and am waiting for
   response
   ... 3. Outreach for W3C Members for the WG Charter
   ... 4. Events
   ... Dave will create a Member wiki page on the events
   ... that's all

   sk: saw the email on oneM2M
   ... good to have them on our call

   yc: should be a dedicated web conf

   sk: which day?

   yc: the point is that they're holding their f2f meeting this
   week
   ... so Yongjing would like our response urgently

   sk: where is the meeting? which time zone?

   yc: Montreal

   ka: US Eastern
   ... the conclusion from today's comm call was, asking Yongjing
   to talk with oneM2M guys first and get back to us with their
   feedback and join our call

   sk: we have less participants today
   ... so maybe we should have the joint call next week or after
   ... would be good to have a call some time in the afternoon in
   Europe given the time difference
   ... some morning time in Montreal

   ka: let's wait for their response after Yingying sends a
   message

   sk: ok
   ... any other comments?

   (none)

IG Deriverables

   sk: not sure when/which documents could be fixed
   ... we have to discuss this next week when we have more
   participants

   ka: maybe we can send an email to the editors and ask for their
   opinions

   sk: sounds good

   ka: can do that

TPAC in Lisbon

   sk: we've already talked about the possible demo room

   ka: whole Wednesday? or just for the breakout session?

   sk: should assume the whole day

   ka: ok
   ... will ask about the possibility of a room for whole day
   Wednesday

Feedback from implementation phase - Frank

   fr: shows slides: Feedback from implementation phase
   ... we'll have a WG for WoT
   ... Building n-WoT-Stacks
   ... and Implementing WoT Stacks
   ... (The Embedded Marketplace)
   ... 8/16 bit MCR are not at the end
   ... many new products
   ... (Which memory and performance is needed for the WoT stack?)
   ... 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit
   ... less memory like 16KB to 32, 64 and 128
   ... even 384KB
   ... (Flexibility of WoT-Stacks regarding device categories)
   ... WoT Servient and WoT Client
   ... what would be the appropriate size?
   ... 128? 256? or 512?
   ... next question is we'll have many WoT Clients
   ... device memory is limited for clients
   ... we have to make some requirements for systems
   ... findings/questions:
   ... high size of library needs memory
   ... high memory requirement and powerful MCU reduce the
   coverage of WoT regarding IoT market volume
   ... prices of future solutions must be lower than today
   ... limited size of WoT-Stack (library) is needed (small is
   beautiful)
   ... which size for individual device behavior
   ... high coverage of devices is needed to fulfill WoT mission

   sk: tx!
   ... we have to take it account about MCU's memory size
   ... very important topic
   ... this kind of limitation, e.g., 32KB
   ... important for the future WoT developer

   fr: one comment
   ... if you have a small client
   ... for some small activity
   ... maybe we can reduce the memory size

   sk: what we can do for standardization is how we can make
   presentation
   ... TD so far means streaming processing so far
   ... we've been thinking about devices who are capable
   ... optimized encoding for WoT applications might be needed

   fr: not only binary but very challenge
   ... we want to access various data silos
   ... state machines

   dp: profile for limited devices?
   ... we already have considered some profiles
   ... caused the library size limited
   ... sometimes you don't need complicated profile depending your
   use case
   ... we need to decide how to handle profiles on top of the
   basic stack

   fr: not clear at the moment
   ... questions?

   <Xueqin> what's the problem?

   ka: maybe we could add an item on memory/library size to the
   PlugFest template?

   sk: MCUs have restricted resources
   ... what is the balance?
   ... good to think about the minimum resource the WoT Servient
   rely on
   ... very difficult question

   fr: could have something on the WG Charter?

   sk: maybe you can generate some proposal?

   fr: maybe after my vacation

   -> [22]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Roadmap wg roadmap

     [22] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Roadmap

   ka: please note that we can gather information on MCU
   requirements, but I don't think that would become a W3C
   Recommendation
   ... probably this information should go part of the Current
   Practice document, e.g., an appendix section

   dp: if it goes into the Current Practice document, we can
   discuss it separately from the WG work

   ka: right

   -> [23]https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-exi-profile-20140909/ EXI
   profile

     [23] https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-exi-profile-20140909/

   ka: if we wanted to generate that kind of REC track document,
   we could do
   ... but we need more discussion within the group

   dp: also this document itself is a bit different from what
   Frank is suggesting

   sk: let's continue the discussion

   fr: will be on vacation next week
   ... have some colleagues but not available next week

   sk: ok

Agenda for the next call

   sk: overview of action items [Kaz]
   ... WoT IG: deliverables closing, Editor for Tech Landscape
   ... TPAC in Lisbon: demo room on Wed.
   ... microcontroller implementations for the WG Charter?

   dp: all the group participants are encouraged to share
   information/slides

   sk: add that

   [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [24]scribe.perl version
    1.144 ([25]CVS log)
    $Date: 2016/07/21 06:13:14 $

     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



-- 
Kaz Ashimura, W3C Staff Contact for Auto, WoT, TV, MMI and Geo
Tel: +81 3 3516 2504
Received on Thursday, 21 July 2016 06:16:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 21 July 2016 06:16:06 UTC