Re: Device Discovery and Telehash

<<< How does this solution compares to Telehash/Adept? >>>

Conceptually it is similar as Telehash terms of that both solutions use a
Kademlia distributed hash table and end-to-end encrypt the data between
peers, so there are only encrypted messages circulated on the network.
Since IBM selected Telehash for Adept I was considering to integrate it.
Telehash is a widely used and mature solution and I understand we should
try use it instead of reinventing the wheel. The problem is (apart from the
problem what I have mentioned with the Nodejs code), in my opinion there is
a need in IoT for deployments in which the access to a device is limited to
certain users. For example, it is probably not a good idea to expose a home
automation system of a family home or a home CCTV camera or a door device
of a smart car to the Telehash public network. P2P public networks expose
certain metadata and peer information, and that could be a security concern
for certain use cases. For that reason I introduced the private network
concept (which I tried to explain in my previous email) that is still a P2P
topology and operates without the need of a proprietary, corporate owned
cloud infrastructure, but don't expose the devices to the public network.
IMHO Telehash could be very suitable for public devices such as weather
sensors to broadcast weather data to potentially millions of users (our
solution is capable to do that as well, but Telehash is already a powerful
P2P network).
We should introduce a factory pattern design in our code, which allows to
select the underlying P2P provider, and then Telehash can be selected as
the transport provider in case someone prefers using Telehash. Such factory
pattern design will be a fairly easy change in the code and then it would
be great if someone could integrate Telehash.

<<<  Is there any other project using this security approach - i.e. is this
something already deployed and tested by the industry somehow >>>

A few users have contacted me about the P2P topology and interested in
deploying the solution once it is matured and we can provide reference
designs on a hardware. So now I am trying to create reference designs on
Raspberry Pi, STM32 and Atmel boards. It would be great to organize some
pilot projects using P2P!

As for the security approach, please note this approach is nothing more
than using a standard, well tested, widely used and very basic PPK
cryptography infrastructure. User A sign the message with the private key
and User B verify the message using the public key of User A. Using PPK
cryptography allows to manage both authentication and guaranty data
integrity. Terms of this we are not reinventing the wheel and we are using
FIPS compliant standard PPK cryptography.

<<< I totally agree that we should look for something lightweight and avoid
heavy implementations like oAuth. As I told before, I was looking for
Meshblu-like approach - but it is patented :(. >>>

I agree. I can understand why solution provider corporates who sell IoT
systems prefer oAuth and all its attachments like authorisation servers. I
am sure it is a very sensible business proposition as well as the best for
many use cases, but I agree, for IoT a more lightweight solution should be
a better fit.

<<<  I think it would be smart to document these propositions/specs
somehow, not to lost them in the e-mails. >>>

Absolutely, and I will try my best to update the document with new UML
diagrams. I am a voluntary contributor and I just need to find some time to
do this.

<<< From my experience GitHub wiki has been useful, especially if few of us
can edit it. Otherwise we can use Markdown files in the repo, but this
demands commits for each change.
Dave,
any opinions on creating wiki? >>>

I believe Dave has already created a Wiki and asked the community that
please help or feel free to write the content. It would be great to have a
Wiki, as you said it can be a useful repository.

Regards,
Tibor

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko.draskovic@gmail.com