Re: Events, Subscriptions, Link Bindings, and RESThooks

Hi Johannes,

Yes, very similar ideas. The subscription resource you describe is most like what I call a link binding.

It looks like you also allow a subscription to point to a callback handler. Do you have an implementation of a script callback using this pattern? It seems like going through MQTT or websockets would be fairly easy to hook up handlers to, but invoking a callback handler directly from a RESThook seems to have some low level dependencies and would be tightly coupled to the runtime environment.

Binding to an observable resource would be another pattern that would decouple the runtime dependencies to the protocol layer; e.g. CoAP Observe or HTTP SSE (EventSource model) could be used to invoke the callback.

For the discussion topics, we could try text files in a git repo on the W3C site, and we could make pull requests to add or update. Then people could use issues to discuss. Maybe that's a little heavyweight and would need more than one repo for broad topics, but it could work.

Best regards,

Michael