AW: [WoT-IG]: Comments on proposed charter for WoT WG

Hi,

I was adding my comments on the discussion thread on github (to have it more sticky).
https://github.com/w3c/charter-drafts/issues/48

First of all thanks for the feedback!
Let me express my opinion for all of @ClaesNilsson<https://github.com/ClaesNilsson> 's points:

Ad Sect. 1 / Scope, Motivation: I see also the picture only addressing some specific side-aspects of WoT, yet that is the nature of complex matter: there is not one single image to explain it completely. However, I would like/suggest to also include images from the architecture document.

Ad Sect. 2 / scripting: fully agree. We had some discussion before we had this concept of both server and client-sided scripting APIs in our group as consensus and it might be too implicit here to be understandable by someone not in the discussion.
@ClaesNilsson<https://github.com/ClaesNilsson> I think your wording in this issue is covering the matter precisely but understandable, could you send that in as PR?

Ad. Sect 1.3: That is the intention I think. I would see the deliverable as a description how the "patterns" or "interactions" from the thing description (Actions, properties, events etc.) are mapped into resources and how to interact with these resources.

The question of how these resources and interactions on the resources are then translated in the protocols is sometimes trivial, sometimes more complex. In the end, it only imposes a constraint on the messages used for the sake of better interoperability. For example, its easy for protocols like CoAP or HTTP, but e.g. OFC has defined a mapping of RESTful resources to XMPP. It does not leverage the full power of XMPP, but makes a seamless integration easily possible.

The tradeoff here is how to use the protocol's intrinisc features to make a mapping "elegant" vs. a simplistic mapping. That's why I see it important for this task to involve the people of the protocol standardization themselves.

Ad Sect: 1.4 / Out of scope: The meaning of that sentence is clearly too vague at the moment. My longer form of that would be:

"We assume the protocols to have some way to uniquely address items (which we call resources) such as actions or properties. This identifier resp. address is an opaque string for in WoT. How this is string is constructed for each individual protocol is not the scope of this group."

If it is a problem, I have no objection to drop it. The intention was mainly it might however help companies regarding IPR issues.
I’ll also allocate a slot in tommorrow’s AP call for this discussion as we do not seem to be consent here yet – or are not aware of it.

Best regards,
Johannes