Re: Slides for the "RESTful Design for Internet of Things Systems" presentation

Hi all,

I was asked to summarize some of the key discussions from the "RESTful
Design for Internet of Things Systems" session today at the TPAC f2f
meeting.

Here's what I had in my notes. I focused mainly on the parts that need
more work for the future versions of the draft. Comments and additions
are very welcome.

* Useful to have guidelines for RESTful design to have "less surprises"
in the APIs.

* Application state; where is it and how is it modeled. How does the
application state related to physical state.

* There are many things in API design that "feel right/wrong". Would be
good to have pointers for rationale on such issues in the document. Call
for the community: if you know good resources, please send us links.

* The applicability of REST; where does the REST style work well (e.g.,
resource oriented architectures) and where it is not as good fit (e.g.,
RPC style actions). How can we extend the applicability and where should
we stop and do something else.

* Long running actions and how to interact with them. For example,
system can create a new resource for the execution. Should describe
these in the draft. Dish-washer program was discussed as an example.

* For partial updates on a resource the PATCH method is useful and
should be discussed in this context.

Cheers,
Ari