Re: Introduction of WebI2C and WebGPIO

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:30:10 -0700
Michael Koster <michaeljohnkoster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Satoru san, Futomi san,
>
> I understand your goal of combining web programming with low latency. It will enable precise control of devices in many important use cases using highly reusable code and design patterns. I see a larger potential also.
>
> In the bigger picture, it seems very worthwhile to be able to expose machine interfaces using common HTML code. This could enable the interface of something like a thermostat or lighting control to be discovered, rendered and processed using today’s tools of DOM and Javascript using familiar programming models.

Thank you for showing some understanding of the idea.

>  It also enables the integration of well known hypermedia controls to expose resources using the Web of Things interaction model through markup-based controls that can be processed by Javascript handlers to drive application state machines. In addition, a resource like Schema.org could be used to provide common semantics, again integrated using markup like microformats.

Do you mean "Web of Things Framework"[1], "Things Description"[2] and so on?

[1] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/wot-framework.pdf
[2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Thing_Description

Though I'm not a member of WoT IG and I don't know them very match,
I think that they are nice ideas for things communicating each other.

> So the web browser doesn’t always need to run on the device. The device can still be a server that publishes the rich HTML document which enables the WoT interaction model between it and application clients that may or may not have screens.

Right, web browsers are not essential in the context.

> Or if there is a suitable environment on the device, the script code may run directly on the hardware I/O.

I hope so.

It is not yet clear what is "WoT" for me.
I thought that JavaScript APIs in web browsers for accessing local hardware components (GPIO, I2C, etc.) are also included in WoT...
What does "Web" in the term "Web of Things" means for WoT IG?
Protocols (including data formats) or JavaScript APIs or both?

Isn't WoT IG interested in JavaScript APIs for accessing local hardware components for now?
I'd like to hear your honest advice.
If not, sorry to bother you.

Thank you again for giving me your thoughts, Michael.

Cheers,
Futomi