Re: [TF-AP] minutes - 7 Oct. 2015

this touches on something i've been meaning to find a moment to suggest.

one of my main use cases is "is it safe to leave the house?". i'm sure like
me you'll get to the front door and wonder whether the back door is open or
whether the oven is off, all that. the resolution would be to provide a
list of known Things and their status.

this use case is handily satisfied by most of the stuff under
consideration, but it leads to an issue where an application providing a
summary of Thing state doesn't know which properties to display. which are
important?

and so my suggestion, (which, naturally, is implemented by Monohm's
Sensible framework, grin), is property priority. how important is any given
priority? so the summary application would show top priority items, but
ignore others.

in the case of the "leaving the house" example, a top priority property for
a Things such as a door would just be open/closed, and for an oven would be
on/off - you don't care what temperature the oven is at, just whether it's
on or not. when you're controlling the oven, you can dig into properties of
lower priority.

make any sense?