Re: [use cases] IERC Report for IoT use cases

> On 14 Mar 2015, at 06:26, Ari Keränen <ari.keranen@ericsson.com> wrote:
>
> The European Research Cluster on the Internet of Things has a report that contains many potentially relevant IoT use cases:
> http://www.internet-of-things-research.eu/pdf/IERC_Cluster_Book_2014_Ch.3_SRIA_WEB.pdf <http://www.internet-of-things-research.eu/pdf/IERC_Cluster_Book_2014_Ch.3_SRIA_WEB.pdf>

Thanks for the pointer, I have added it to the wiki page on uses cases and application domains. It has lots of useful material.  Different groups are using slightly different terms, so it is worth devoting some effort to clarifying which terms we want to use for classifying use cases and to define what we mean by those terms.

In the IERC report Figure 3.5 lists the following domains:

  * Smart Cities
  * Smart Transport
  * Smart Buildings
  * Smart Energy
  * Smart Industry
  * Smart Health
  * Smart Living

But it is interesting in how the report covers the areas:

Smart Cities
Smart Energy & Smart Grid
Smart Mobility & Transport
Smart Homes, Smart Buildings & Infrastructure
Smart Smart Factory & Smart Manufacturing
Smart Health
Smart Environment: Food and Water monitoring and Security
Participatory Sensing
Smart Logistics & Retail

“Wearables” isn’t mentioned, and “Home automation” only appears once.

I am unsure what is the scope for "Smart Cities” and how it relates to other terms.  I think it can be used as an umbrella term that includes many other more specific areas such as Smart Energy, Smart Mobility and Smart Homes.  There is a clear distinction between a focus on mobility for people and for goods, but the terms are less clear. Logistics is clearly related to transporting goods, warehouses and stock management in retail stores, but overlaps with "Smart Transport”. I am sure that I am not the only one who is a little confused as to the distinction between some of the categories.

This sounds like something we should discuss!

—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>