From: Dave Raggett [mailto:dsr@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 12:26 AM
To: Public Web of Things IG
Subject: [use cases] rough taxonomy

Further to my last email here is a very rough first cut at a taxonomy for grouping use cases by application domains. I acknowledge borrowing some ideas from the oneM2M use cases document and the extensive set of products on the iotlist website.

I very much welcome comments for restructuring and expanding the taxonomy. For instance, does it make sense to put “smart grids” under “smart cities” or to put them as peers at the same level. I’ve included home entertainment, but lacked inspiration for the use cases.  Some of the use cases will be very similar for homes, offices and other buildings. Does it makes sense to try to group them together or to have separate groups?

  *   Smart homes and buildings

     *   Home automation

        *   Environmental control

           *   Heating, ventilation, air conditioning, sun screens

        *   Deferred operation of power hungry devices
        *   Electrical charging for vehicles
        *   Solar panels for electrical power and hot water
        *   Ambient lighting control (e.g. Philips Hue)
        *   Smart lighting for aquaria
        *   Home cooking
        *   Garage doors
        *   Smart watering systems indoors and outdoors
        *   Baby monitors
        *   Timed pet food dispensers
        *   Monitoring perishable goods, e.g. in a refrigerator
        *   Remote monitoring, e.g. of washer cycle status
        *   Monitoring and proactive maintenance scheduling
        *   Event triggered task execution

     *   Home entertainment
     *   Home security

        *   Door locks
        *   Sensors for open doors and windows
        *   Pressure, motion and Infrared sensors
        *   Cameras
        *   Notifications, e.g. to the owners or to the police

     *   Sports and lifestyle

        *   Fitness related use cases

     *   Healthcare and medical

        *   Remote patient monitoring and care
        *   Self monitoring and wellness

     *   Assisted living for people with physical or cognitive impairments

  *   Smart cities

     *   Smart grids

        *   Smart meter reading
        *   Street lighting automation
        *   Signalling with smart power devices
        *   Advanced transmission and distribution
        *   Monitoring of water levels for hydropower

     *   Other utilities

        *   Monitoring water levels for flood warnings
        *   Weather monitoring stations
        *   Satellite based remote monitoring, e.g. aridity of farm land and forest fires

     *   Transportation

        *   Monitoring and forecasting

           *   traffic slow downs
           *   timetables and current status
           *   navigation and route planning

        *   Vehicle diagnostic and maintenance reports
        *   Remote maintenance services
        *   Traffic accident information collection
        *   Fleet management using digital tachographs
        *   Smart parking
        *   Car/bicycle sharing services

     *   Emergencies and civil disturbances

        *   Fire, medical and police vehicles
        *   Information delivery in devastated areas
        *   Robust communication and control
        *   Monitoring and management of demonstrations and riots

     *   Retail

        *   Inventory management
        *   Perishable goods
        *   Anti-theft devices
        *   What do people spend their time looking at whilst shopping?
        *   How do people move around the store?
        *   Pushing location and context dependent offers
        *   Point of sales terminals

     *   Logistics

        *   Location and environmental sensors
        *   Metadata relating to shipments
        *   Logistical planning support
        *   Inventory management

  *   Next generation  manufacturing

     *   Design of bespoke products
     *   Monitoring of system operation
     *   Robots, 3D printing and other technologies
     *   Bringing new workstations online
     *   Inventory management and logistics

  *   Construction and building automation

     *   Use cases relating to construction sites
     *   Use cases relating to operation of large buildings
What’s missing?

Many thanks,
—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org<mailto:dsr@w3.org>>