Re: proposed policy for user names on W3C wikis

On 2007-11-27 20:59:34 -0500, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> This "policy" will be adopted on a WG by WG basis.  I expect
> OWL will adopt it, and others are free to follow it or come
> up with something different.

> Thoughts?   Concerns?

"Pick a user name and passwod; let your Team Contact know what
the user name is, so he can add you to the ACL.  Typical Wiki
User names have the form FirstnameLastname." seems to have
worked pretty well in the groups that I'm dealing with; not
sure a policy of any length is called for.

I agree that it would be great to be able to get along without
maintaining a separate ACL and a separate set of user names and
passwords.

However, it's not at all clear to me that OpenId is the
solution to that problem, in particular since it doesn't solve
the "connect a Wiki's write ACL with DBWG" part. I actually
suspect that the cost of connecting our wikis to the usual ACL
system might be (possibly significantly) lower.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C   <tlr@w3.org>