W3C wikis and preservation

From: Thomas Baker <baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:34:06 +0100
To: public-wiki-dev <public-wiki-dev@w3.org>

Dear all,

I am co-chair of Semantic Web Deployment WG, where we make
extensive use of MoinMoin wiki.

I have alot of questions about MediaWiki and the planned
migration (e.g., practicalities, timeframe), but I also have
some more general questions about the strategic role of wikis
in W3C.  In SWD, we use the wikis for almost all collaborative
writing and CVS almost only for formal publication.

One fundamental question: What are the prospects for the
preservation of MoinMoin (and MediaWiki) content and the
citability of wiki documents in the long term?  The SWD
meeting records and postings in the mailing list such as [1]
currently cite documents such as [2].  How long will these
links likely remain resolvable?

Is there a document or meeting record describing the W3C use
of wikis and the planned migration to MediaWiki (e.g., with
a comparison to MoinMoin) that I can read to get up to speed?

Tom

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0042.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/ConceptSemantics/MinimalProposal?action=recall&rev=3

--
Thomas Baker <baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de>
W3C Semantic Web Deployment Working Group