Re: Spam protection for MediaWiki

On Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2007, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> writes:
> > On Oct 25, 2007, at 02:36 , Markus Kr=F6tzsch wrote:
> > > I noticed that the OWL-WG's wiki has little spam protection.
> >
> > That wiki's main spam protection is that edition is limited to a very
> > low number of people, clearly identified in a group.

When I registered for the wiki, I think I did not need any kind of
confirmation or identification that would have related me to the WG. So my
impression was that there is no restriction on getting a login for the wiki,
which would be enough for spammers to get in. But I am fine if there is some
other mechanism that prevents this.

> > > I recommend to use the ConfirmEdit extension [1] on all MediaWiki
> > > installations.
> > > [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit
> >
> > Great, let's install and test it on W3C's mediawiki then. It will be
> > useful for more public wiki instances than OWL.
>
> W3C has a mediawiki?   That might answer my
> where-do-I-put-pages-for-this-list question.
>
> (I certianly would not want ConfirmEdit turned on for a Working Group
> wiki.  CAPTCHAs are a burden to users and, as you point out, not
> necessary.)

One can also configure captchas to appear only once on initial registration to
reduce the burdon (and ConfirmEdit produces very simple text-only captchas).

-- Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe