Prior Art for Automatic Updates

From: James O'Dell <jim@het.brown.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:28:31 -0400
To: public-widgets-pag@w3.org
In the Early 80s I worked at MIT in the Laboratory for Computer Science.
My main project was the MACSYMA computer algebra program. That system
ran on a PDP-10 under the ITS timesharing system. Whenever someone
starting a MACSYMA session the program ran a program to load a 'fix'
file without any intervention by the user. The fix file was prepared
by the group of which I was a part.

Also, the MIT Lisp Machines (early personal computers) had a 'load-
patches' function which would automatically load any operating system
patches without any user intervention from a pre-defined 'patch
server.' Several staff had the equivalent of 'cron' jobs that loaded
patches automatically over the network.

I hope this is helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can
be of any further help.

Jim O'Dell