Re: HTML text direction

The current implementation and support in email clients allows for use of this attribute to be used in certain cases to enable control of display order in responsive column layouts.

The CSS property of float is not supported. The HTML attribute of align is inconsistent and creates unintended inheritance issues. The HTML attribute of dir allows a case like this:

Small screen:

Large screen:

A  B  C  D

I understand completely what you are suggesting, and somewhat agree (although I have not gone back to re-read the spec). However, I believe that additional cases like this should be considered if any changes are pursued.
Additionally, I believe the lang attribute and the language set in the browser should help determine the string direction.
If you simply want to reverse the display of a string, CSS transform may be an option.

Cheers,

Charles Hall
UX Architect, Technology

t / 248.203.8723  m / 248.225.8179
e / charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com
skype / charles.h.all
280 N Old Woodward Suite 300, Birmingham MI 48009
w / www.mrm-mccann.com

[cid:0C939248-A40F-4690-8918-6930DD674865]
Creativity. Technology. Performance.