Re: [whatwg] header for JSON-LD ???

On 21 July 2017 at 23:21, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net> wrote:

> I am (finally) starting to implement JSON-LD on a site, it generates a lot
> of data that is useless to the non-bot typical user.
>
> I'd prefer to only stick it in the head when the client is a crawler that
> wants it.
>
> Wouldn't it be prudent if agents that want JSON-LD can send a standardized
> header as part of their request so web apps can optionally choose to only
> send the JSON-LD data to clients that want it? Seems it would be kinder to
> mobile users on limited bandwidth if they didn't have to download a bunch
> of JSON that is meaningless to them.
>
> Is this the right group to suggest that?

Firstly, well done for going the extra mile and producing structured data
on the web

Typically, if I am primarily interested in JSON-LD data, there is a
mechanism in web architecture which allows me to specify this.

I would use an accept header such as

Accept: application/ld+json

In this way, machines can receive machine readable data, and humans can
receive human readable.