Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Philipp Serafin <phil127@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I see this correctly, we're currently talking about two different
> use-cases for file/directory access:
>
> 1) …

> without any network access being available at all (the CD rom example).
>
> Maybe the security would be easier to handle if dealt with both use-cases
> separately. I think both use-cases have different requirements,
> non-requirements and "prior art":
>
> 1) …
>
> 2) sounds like an extension of offline apps to me. Maybe this could be
> solved by defining some kind of package format for service workers and
> cached resources, so service workers can be installed without any network
> access.

FWIW, we're working on such a packaging format in
https://github.com/dimich-g/webpackage. It's still early, and we haven't
yet described how to do things like check certificate and package
revocation, but it's got the overall direction we're thinking about.

Jeffrey