Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 3:36 PM Richard Maher <maher_rj@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > The main thing that seems to be missing from this thread is any
> commitment
> > from any browser vendors to actually support any changes in this space.
>
> It has been my experience that browser vendors, more often than not,
> require at least a (proposed) standard before they will consider
> implementing a requested feature.

That's a different question. I was saying we should make sure the browser
vendors care about this space at all. Requesting a specific feature be
implemented comes much later, after use case collection and API design
stages.

If the browser vendors feel like this is out of scope for their product,
then spending the (quite extensive) effort to design a solution will be
wasted. I wouldn't want anyone on this list to feel their time is wasted.

I would certainly not seek to stifle debate or censor someone else from
> having their say.

Indeed not! I should hope nobody would feel that way. The WHATWG is a venue
that is open to anyone willing to take part in relevant technical debate.

Ian Hickson

😸