Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

From: David Kendal [mailto:me@dpk.io]

> This is getting silly. <https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#The_WHATWG>
> says the WHAT WG's purpose is to 'evolve the Web'; since file: URIs are part
> of the web, this problem falls within the WHAT WG's remit.

file: URLs are part of the web, e.g. parsing such URLs when used in <a> tags, just like gopher: URLs or mailto: URLs. The behavior once navigating to file: URLs (or gopher: URLs, or mailto: URLs) is off the web, and outside the scope of the WHATWG's work.

> If you continue with this argument, I will simply ignore you. I am more
> interested in debating how to solve the problem than quibbling over who
> should solve it.

Please do so. I'm just stating the WHATWG's position on this for the clarity of other participants of this list; I would certainly prefer that you do not engage further in attempting to redefine the WHATWG's scope.