Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

We should be aware of the security risks when recommand a "simple web
server".

* Most (if not all) simple web servers don't block access from non-local
hosts by default,
   which can leak users' files.  Although your firewall can block them
for you, users do need unblock
   non-local hosts sometimes (e.g. test with a smart phone), so some may
have whitelisted the
   server anyway.

* Even if non-local hosts are blocked, non-current users'(in the same
OS) access can't be blocked
   easily by a web server. In contrast, file:// access is subject to
file permission check.

* Most (if not all) simple web servers are hobby projects so probabaly
lacks enough security audit.
   E.g. How urls like "/foo/../../../bar" are handled to prevent
escaping from the root directory?

Those risks may be non-issue for experienced developers, but do affect
newbie developers
and normal users. So In my opinion, it is much better to improve and
standardize file-url
handling in browsers.

Regards,

Duan, Yao