Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

Dear all:

I agree with the need to consider file://  ( or at least re-consider the
missing functionality) applicable to exec files / directories with HTML
documents, stored on physical devices ( like USBs or CD-DVDs), even it
might sound uselessness in the _cloudy_ times we live.

This HTML docs MUST be viewable using a modern browser and listening to
DOM events.

This required or proposed functionality ACCOMPLISHES well according to
standards, in the following scenarios:

If the HTML document (static or don't )  links to any other docs
published at the WWW, ( as it was usual in DVDs and CDs from the ages of
the multimedia hype), like videos or external sites.

Accessibility for earth places where you or the receiver needs to
storage and view HTML content, and where a direct connection speed may
not be as we know  (_ It comes to mind a friend who just came back from
her NGO's mission not far away from our places -- the term 'slow
connection' becomes there an euphemism_ ).

Just mumbling , if it means for the goals.

Kind Regards

###########################

Note on Patrick's et al:  WWW is a protocol for the HTTP (S) via TCP/IP

  * _USB storage devices: fdisk, mkfs, mount/umount, file operations,
play a DVD movie and record a DVD-R media._
  * _USB keyboards and USB mice._
  * _USB webcams and USB speakers._
  * _USB printers, USB scanners, USB serial converters and USB Ethernet
interfaces_...

A GENERAL USB DEVICE SHARING SYSTEM OVER IP NETWORK ACCOMPLISH THE WWW
PROTOCOL.

---

Delfi Ramirez -- At Work

My digital signature [1]

0034 633 589231
 delfin@segonquart.net [2]

twitter: @delfinramirez [3]
 IRC: segonquart
 Skype: segonquart [4]

http://segonquart.net

http://delfiramirez.info
 [5]

On 2017-04-11 20:50, Patrick Dark wrote:

> David Kendal 於 4/11/2017 11:46 AM 寫道: On 11 Apr 2017, at 17:01, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me> wrote:
>
> Bingo. This mailing list is for developing technology for the world
> wide web, not for peoples' local computers. The World Wide Web includes peoples' own computers. file:// is a URI
> scheme for exactly that reason. Every browser since WorldWideWeb.app
> for the NeXT has supported it, and every browser will support it
> forever, I hope. (Until it gets the <ISINDEX> treatment, I suppose,
> since the current generation of web standards writers seem to regard
> the idea of platform stability with extreme contempt.)
>
> You cannot escape this simply by redefining what you consider 'the web'
> to be.
>
> (file:// is even 'world wide', to some extent. On computers with AFS
> installed, all URIs beginning with file:///afs/ will always resolve to
> the exact same files.)

The "world wide web" is the user-facing portion of the Internet. Files
on a CD or USB drive are not part of that.

Links:
------
[1] http://delfiramirez.info/public/dr_public_key.asc
[2] mail:%20delfin@segonquart.net