Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

On 11 Apr 2017, at 17:01, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me> wrote:

> Bingo. This mailing list is for developing technology for the world
> wide web, not for peoples' local computers.

The World Wide Web includes peoples' own computers. file:// is a URI
scheme for exactly that reason. Every browser since WorldWideWeb.app
for the NeXT has supported it, and every browser will support it
forever, I hope. (Until it gets the <ISINDEX> treatment, I suppose,
since the current generation of web standards writers seem to regard
the idea of platform stability with extreme contempt.)

You cannot escape this simply by redefining what you consider 'the web'
to be.

(file:// is even 'world wide', to some extent. On computers with AFS
installed, all URIs beginning with file:///afs/ will always resolve to
the exact same files.)

--
dpk (David P. Kendal) · Nassauische Str. 36, 10717 DE · http://dpk.io/
 If one meets a powerful person […] one can ask five questions: what