Re: [whatwg] [css-display] CSS Display Review

From: Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 03:44:36 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, fantasai <fantasai@inkedblade.net>
On 09/20/2016 02:54 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 9/20/16 1:46 AM, Mats Palmgren wrote:
>> Assuming that the above are the final DOM trees, then they should
>> create exactly the same CSS boxes as if the <div> element is replaced
>> by its (DOM) children.
>
> That contradicts what fantasai claimed the spec says.

This is what the CSS Display spec says:
"For the purposes of box generation and layout, the element must be
treated as if it had been replaced with its children and pseudo-elements
in the document tree."
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-display/#box-generation

Which is pretty much what I said above, no?

I'm confused - @fantasai are you claiming that the above wording in
the css-display spec is wrong and that the intended meaning is
something fundamentally different?

/Mats