Re: [whatwg] possible new parameters to video.play() ?

On 18 September 2016 at 14:44, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 01:21:27 +0200, Melvin Carvalho <
> melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Apologies if this has come up before, but I was wondering if it would be
>> possible to add simple parameters to the play() function.
>>
>> They would be
>>
>> play(start, end)
>>
>> Where start and end are the times in seconds.
>>
>> I know you can do
>>
>> video.currentTime = start ; video.play()
>>
>> But there's no real easy way to stop it to play a clip
>>
>> The media fragments URIs spec [1] handles this quite nicely by adding to
>> the URI
>>
>> #t=start,end
>>
>> But yet there seems to be no way to do this in JS, resorting to changing
>> location.hash and then doing a reload, which seems a bit of a kludge
>>
>> I may be missing something extremely obvious, if so, I'd love to know!
>>
>> [1] https://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/
>>

> The pauseOnExit attribute on VTTCue can be used for this purpose. See
> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/embedded-content.html
> #text-track-api:the-audio-element for an example.

Thank you for both answers!

I found pauseOnExit to work very well for my use case.  I ended up with.

v.addTextTrack('metadata')
cue = new VTTCue(start, end, '')
cue.pauseOnExit = true
cues.addCue(cue)
v.currentTime = start
v.play()

Regarding

var cue = new VTTCue(start, end, '');

As best I could tell that last parameter is a 'message', tho Im not sure I
got any message when the video stopped, even when I populated it.  Maybe I
wasnt supposed to.

I'm quite happy to use this solution.  My slight concert is whether there
are any side effects from adding a TextTrack to a video.

Should this be considered best practice, or would there perhaps still be
room in future for (start, end) parameters?