Re: [whatwg] VIDEO and pitchAdjustment

> On Mar 4, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know, that was basically my question too. If the underlying
>>> APIs don't support it, that's a problem that needs to be fixed first.
>>

>> There are no such APIs on OS X which would allow an arbitrary pitch shift to be added to an otherwise normally playing piece of audio.
>>
>> IMO, this is a more appropriate request for the Web Audio API (adding a Audio Node which can add an arbitrary amount of pitch shift).  At which point, there would be no need for this in HTMLMediaElement, as authors could make a simple node graph consisting of an MediaElementAudioSourceNode and a PitchShiftNode.
>>
>> -Jer
>
> But that can't work on OSX, right?  I wonder how audio software on mac
> does it, Audacity, Amazing Slow Downer, and Garage Band, Logic, and
> many others can all do this.

None of them use the built in platform APIs to shift the pitch of encoded media.  Each does it manually, within their app, and each probably uses a different algorithm to achieve shift in pitch.

> Plus how would web Audio API solve for the use case?
>
> To frame an example, go to YT and pull up "Take it Easy" (Eagles). The
> song is about a 50 cents flat of standard tuning. The pitch can be
> adjusted by setting playbackRate to 1.023 and setting
> MozPreservesPitch to false:—
>
> var vv = document.querySelector("video");
> vv.mozPreservesPitch = 0;
> vv.playbackRate = 1.023
>
> — but that speeds it up. I don't want speed coupled with pitch.

The Web Audio equivalent would be:

var video = document.querySelector(‘video’);
video.preservesPitch = false;
var context = new AudioContext();
var sourceNode = context.createMediaElementSource(video);
var pitchShiftNode = context.createPitchShift();
pitchShiftNode.shiftAmount = 1.023;
sourceNode.connect(pitchShiftNode);
pitchShiftNode.connect(context.destination);

-Jer