Re: [whatwg] Galleries revisited

> From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of i@hansschmucker.de

> The remaining issue for me seems that the interaction between this "viewer" and the page is completely unspecified and that items like descriptions and copyright notices which may be required to make sense of an image may or may not be shown.
>
> Also, an image may represent an item of any kind or offer actions on it (for example "Download the PDF", "View the subgallery", "Show related images", "Go to full description"), which the page may be unable to perform if there is no standardized way to interact with the UA.

I don't think the below proposal is a good way to address this. I'd suggest creating your own library to implement the desired functionality, possibly using microformats for the semantic aspects, and seeing if it gets adoption. If it becomes very popular, maybe we could consider asking implementers if they are interested in adding it to the platform, like they have done with aspects of other popular libraries such as jQuery. But I think you are still too quick to jump to asking implementers to implement a new element.