Re: [whatwg] Support filters in Canvas

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:40:29 +0100
To: Ali Juma <ajuma@chromium.org>
Cc: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>, WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, mstange@themasta.com
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Ali Juma <ajuma@chromium.org> wrote:
> The current canvas filters proposal [1] allows using SVG reference filters
> defined in external documents (e.g. “url(file.svg#filter)”). Since the
> external document needs to be loaded before the filter can be applied,
> there’s a delay between setting the context’s filter attribute to such a
> filter and actually having the filter apply to drawing operations.

Perhaps we could support assigning an SVG filter directly (as an
object)? Developers would be responsible to load them if they're
external. Adding yet another network API that's a thin layer on top of
some CSS syntax seems a little hackish. I'd prefer if we exposed
filters at a lower level somehow.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/