Re: [whatwg] Reviving ImageBitmap options: Intend to spec and implement

From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Xida Chen

> We intend to push this feature forward in Blink, particularly we intend to
> spec and implement the "Strongly desired options" listed on the Whatwg
> proposal page. We would appreciate comments and suggestions on the
> proposal.
>
> Any thoughts or objections before we start drafting a change to the spec?

Exciting stuff!

> 'none': Do not change orientation.

Does this mean "disregard image orientation metadata" or does it mean "do not change orientation from what the metadata specifies"?

> enum colorspaceConversion, default = 'default'

Is there any precedent on the web platform (or in Open GL APIs, perhaps?) for whether "colorspace" is one word or two words? If two words, this should be colorSpaceConversion. Happy to defer to your expertise here.

> 'default': Implementation-specific behavior, possibly optimized for the implementation's graphics framework.

This is a bit unfortunate as an interop hazard. I suppose it's no worse than today though. Has this been discussed in the past? Apologies, I was only able to skim the previous email thread.

---

This comment is on something outside the "strongly desired features" section so probably not relevant to your immediate work. Just wanted to mention it.

In new JavaScript-only APIs we've made the decision to move away from the potentially-confusing HTML style crossOrigin enums in favor of the RequestCredentials enum used by Fetch: https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#requestcredentials. You can see this in e.g. https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/608 where I chose the same initial crossOrigin design and Anne convinced me to move to credentials. I imagine we'll continue to use crossorigin="" and corresponding reflected crossOrigin IDL attributes for any HTML elements, but for JS-only APIs RequestCredentials is the way to go.